Eric S. Gordon
Eric Gordon served the Cleveland Metropolitan School District as its Chief Academic Officer from 2007-2011, when the Cleveland Board of Education voted unanimously to appoint him as Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Gordon was one of the major architects of the District’s Academic Transformation Plan that garnered national recognition for its dramatic approach to top-to-bottom school reform.
Under his leadership, CMSD has engaged in the development of a three-tiered academic improvement model that focuses on both traditional academic achievement strategies and also on improving the conditions for learning for students and families. The strategy produced dramatic reductions in serious safety incidents, suspensions, and expulsions in Cleveland’s schools and overall increases in student attendance, an increase in achievement test scores, and the District’s highest-ever state rating of Continuous Improvement. With a commitment to providing high quality education for urban students, Mr. Gordon implemented a district-wide scope and sequence curriculum and implemented the CMSD’s conditions for learning “Humanware” strategy.
Prior to joining the leadership team at CMSD, Mr. Gordon taught in the New Orleans Public Schools and the Toledo Public Schools and has served as a high school principal in urban, rural, and suburban school districts. In 2001, he was recruited to the Columbus area to serve as founding principal for the rapidly-growing Olentangy Local School District’s second high school. Under his leadership, the school was named a School of Distinction by the state of Ohio for higher-than-predicted performance of special education students on the Ohio Graduation Tests. While at Olentangy, Mr. Gordon was appointed to the position of Executive Director of Secondary Learning, where he was responsible for curriculum and instruction, special education services, student data and accountability, supervision of personnel, and opening of new schools for grades 6-12.
He is actively involved in practitioner leadership with the Common Core State Standards through a partnership with the Gates Foundation, the Council of the Great City Schools, and the American Federation of Teachers. He maintains active involvement in practitioner leadership with Social and Emotional Learning standards through a partnership with the NoVo Foundation and the Center for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning.
Mr. Gordon earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Mathematics Education and a Master’s of Education degree in School Administration at Bowling Green State University. He and his wife, Dawn, live in the Ohio City neighborhood of Cleveland with their black Labrador retriever, “Buddy.” Their children, he says, are the 41,000 students of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.
Follow Eric on Twitter @ericgordon_ceo to learn about the great things happening in the CMSD!
Connect with the CEO department
Shirrell R. Greene, MA, Deputy to the CEO
Provides executive level support to the CEO, coordinates and leads CEO's special projects, strategic priorities & initiatives, responsible for oversight of the CEO office staff
email@example.com | Office: (216) 574-8500
Information About CEO Eric Gordon
Videos & Interviews
CEO DISCUSSES LEVY:
FEAGLER & FRIENDS
with Dick Feagler
BETWEEN THE LINES
with Tom Beres
CEO makes case for levy
CEO Gordon, Wills & Snyder interview
Preliminary report card rating, levy, state of schools
- CH 3: FY2013 Annual Budget September 12, 2012
WCPN- 90.3 Sound of Ideas Wills & Snyder interview - August 29, 2012
CMSD's new & improved Transportation plan
Plain Dealer: CEO Gordon & Mayor Jackson Interviews
• Mayor Jackson and CEO: The Cleveland Plan--The Right Plan at the Right Time - Video
• CEO Eric Gordon: Levy Information - Video
WTAM: CEO reflects on 2011-12 School Year
CEO interview with WTAM 1100AM - April 23, 2012
CEO on the Wills & Snyder Show - Feb 21, 2012
WKYC-Ch.3 - Feb 7, 2012
Mayor Jackson meets with education stakeholders about stepping up school reform.
WEWS-Ch. 5 - Feb 7, 2012
Mayor Jackson unveils his plan for education reform
Fox 8 - Feb 7, 2012
Cleveland Officials Announce School Overhaul
WOIO- Ch.19 - Feb 7, 2012
Mayor unveils new plan for Cleveland Schools
WEWS-Ch. 5 - Feb 13, 2012
Cleveland school reform plan presented to state lawmakers
KeyBank donation video coverage - November 22, 2011
- Success at Cleveland Early College @ John Hay Campus featured on Ch. 5's Kaleidoscope show - November 15, 2011
- Education Nation: CEO talks about how CMSD plans to improve the District's graduation rate among its Hispanic students
WKYC - Ch. 3 - September 26, 2011
- CEO Eric Gordon talks about smooth school opening and report card gains
WCPN- 90.3, Sound of Ideas - August 25, 2011
- CEO Eric Gordon responds to concerns regarding class sizes in CMSD schools
WKYC - Ch. 3 - August 24, 2011
- CEO sits down with WKYC anchor Kim Wheeler and shares his long- and short-term plans for District schools
WKYC- Ch. 3 - August 6, 2011
- CEO stops by the WCPN newsroom to talk about challenges the District faces and to discuss what his priorities will be in his first year at the helm of the urban school system
WCPN- 90.3, Sound of Ideas - July 28, 2011
Between the Lines Interview with CEO Eric Gordon - July 10, 2011
- CEO invites local TV station into his office and shares his vision for the District’s Academic Transformation Plan as well as his plans to break schools into smaller academies
WEWS- Ch. 5 - June 29, 2011
- Dick Feagler introduces CEO as the public face of the District. The two discuss Gordon’s assent to the top of the academic ladder in the city and the challenges the District face
Feagler & Friends
- CEO appears on morning call-in program on WTAM, addresses the fiscal health of the District and what he will need to do to ensure the schools are on sound economic footing
WTAM-1100 - June 13, 2011
Teacher Recalls and Back-to-School Preparation
- CEO calls in to a WTAM program and shares news the community wanted to hear: the recall of some of the teachers who had been laid off
- CEO announces the Board’s decision to recall laid-off teachers and his commitment to keeping the District’s budget balanced for the next two years
WKYC- Ch. 3
- CEO does a short interview on a local TV station to talk about the recall of 365 teachers and his push to get the word to parents about the high quality of schools in the District
Board Presentation on Levy Authorization - July 18, 2012
Cleveland Plan signed into law July 2, 2012
CEO Letter to Parents: New Transportation Plan to shorten walk to school! May 9, 2012
- The plan to improve Cleveland schools (April 17, 2012):
- BUDGET PRESENTATION
- BUDGET REDUCTIONS: CEO Letter to Parents | Spanish
CLEVELAND's PLAN FOR TRANSFORMING SCHOOLS April 4, 2012
• Education Plan Agreement
• Executive Summary
• Briefing Document Facilities Consolidation Plan April 3, 2012
CEO Parent Letter on closing of Almira
January 5, 2012
Start of a new year CEO message
BOE's agreement with CTU to rescind cuts applauded
December 14, 2011
CEO TO PARENTS: Preparing for cuts in preschool, transportation, summer school:
| Spanish | Chinese | Hindi | Swahili | Arabic November 22, 2011
CEO Eric Gordon's State of the Schools Address
- Cleveland BOE acts to ensure smooth school opening & maintain balanced budget
CMSD News Release - August 10, 2011
CEO visits 8 schools on opening day | Photos
- CEO Eric Gordon encourages City Council members to go straight to the top with questions and concerns.
By Thomas Ott, Plain Dealer. Full Story - August 18, 2011
- The Board of Education took action to approve CEO Eric Gordon's recommendation to lay off nearly 350 teachers in order to align its teaching staff with 2011 student enrollment and keep budget balanced.
News release - August 18, 2011
- The Board of Education authorizes CEO Eric Gordon to recall teachers to ensure a seamless opening of schools for the 2011-12 academic year.
News Release - August 10, 2011
- The Plain Dealer applauds the hiring of Eric Gordon as CEO and praises the Board of Education’s decision to make a no-frills contract part of the hiring package.
Full Story July 16, 2011
- The Cleveland Board of Education voted to name Eric Gordon as the next Chief Executive Officer of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.
News Release - June 7, 2011
- The Board of Education will vote on recommendations for teacher and staff layoffs.
Letter to Staff - April 13, 2011
- Interim CEO Peter Raskind goes on WTAM and discusses on the Wills and Snyder program the Board-approved cuts in teachers and the closing of more schools.
WTAM Interview - April 6, 2011
- Interim CEO Peter Raskind appears on WTAM and talks about CMSD budget on Wills and Snyder in the Morning.
WTAM Interview - March 16, 2011
- Peter Raskind shares his thoughts about the District’s budget on Lanigan & Malone Morning Show.
Lanigan & Malone Interview - March 24, 2011
The Ohio Department of Education has requested that all school districts post information regarding a class action lawsuit against the State of Ohio in regards to a Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act claim.